Saturday, February 18, 2012

The plantings.


As the owner I have been fortunate to have completed the requirements of a Permaculture Design Certificate so will now develop a plan using that methodology.

However, I am a recent arrival in the tropical climate of Cairns and need to collaborate with my local friends and 'Permaculture Cairns' members who have an idea of the plants for the tropics. So I'll have to invite them over for lunch and get them to comment on my plan and share their ideas for improvement with me.

For their ideas I'll offer them pizzas with a choice of gluten free, vegetarian and of course canivore's delight!

My developing criteria for planting includes:

1. Enhance and build on the streetscape.
2. Take account of neighbours needs to ensure no root invasion by new plants; that plants don't encroach into their gardens and cause unwanted shade etc.
3. Be aware of the powerlines over the verge and make sure no plants grow to a height to be a problem.
4. Plant to provide bountiful tropical fruits, bird attracting plants and those that entice the butterflies.
5. Bush Tucker plants.
6. Some local native grasses for groundcover/under-storey
7. Well-planned and neat edge plantings negotiated with the neighbours.

If it all comes together as planned we should end up with a great "Habitat Garden" that attracts wildlife.

Once a plan is adopted I'll make sure I spend time with my neighbours to gain their comments, make changes where requested and seek their continuing support.

I'll keep you posted!

I CAN HEAR THOSE WORMS BRUCE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment